Welcome to our introductory “Clicker-training” course.
The term, “Clicker Training” has come to mean different things to different people. Sometimes the true understanding of how this training works has been lost in the translation.
Our aim in this course is to introduce you to positive reinforcement, marker-based training (Sometimes referred to as Clicker Training) in a simple, digestible and easy to understand format. It is the course that will teach you how to train your dog.
The skills and concepts you will learn will help you to build a framework for all your subsequent training, whether you aspire to owning a well-behaved family pet or a world-class performance dog.
The course should be viewed as the gateway to all future training with your dog. If you are already familiar with the positive reinforcement marker based method, please view this as a refresher of all the skills you will need.
However, if you are not familiar with this method, welcome! We are sure you will discover a whole new world opening up before you! We hope that you will enjoy the course and use it as a springboard for all future fun and learning with your dog.
We recommend that, on completion of this introductory course, you take our face-to-face Basic Manners course here at DogLogic in Statesville, North Carolina or continue your online learning with us through individual private lessons.
“Basic Manners Online” This course will mirror the activities taught in our face-to-face class for those of you too far away to attend in person or for current students who would like “at home” reminders of class lessons.
After this you can choose from any of our other online sport related courses, take private lessons or join one of our group classes at DogLogic in Statesville, North Carolina.
After completing “Clicker Training made easy”, you will:
- Have a better understanding of how your dog communicates.
- Understand how you can communicate effectively with him.
- Understand why some of his less desirable behaviors seem to get stronger despite your best efforts.
- Learn how to replace these undesirable behaviors with ones you like!
Before starting this course, please take the time to gather a few pieces of essential equipment.
You will need:
- Clicker (These may be purchased in most reputable pet stores or from clicker training.com )
- Treats – These must be very tasty, small, soft and easy to swallow quickly. Or “SMALL, SOFT AND STINKY!” as one of my favorite trainers, Kathy Sdao likes to say!
(Some of my favorite treats include, string cheese, left over steak or cooked chicken.)
- Treat pouch (Easily obtained at pet stores or from clicker training.com)
- Small pot or bowl – a container to keep treats nearby.
- Bean bags
- Tennis ball
- Bucket large enough to take the beanbags. (You need to be able to throw them into the bucket.)
- Playing cards
Let’s get started: Lesson 1